About Douglas Winter
Douglas Winter is considered one of the world’s leading experts on rare coins, specializing in pre-1933 U.S. rare gold coins. Doug has spent much of his life in the field of numismatics and began collecting coins at the age of seven. By the time he was ten, he was buying and selling coins at conventions in New York City. When Doug was thirteen he joined the American Numismatic Association and took his first table at a coin show before he was fourteen.
Doug became interested in pre-1933 U.S. gold coins during his time at Steve Ivy Rare Coins, serving as the Director of Research and then founded Douglas Winter Consulting in 1985.
In 1989 Doug founded Douglas Winter Numismatics. This firm specializes in buying and selling choice and rare U.S. gold coins. By 1992, it was recognized as one of the leading specialized numismatic firms in the country.
Doug has also been a contributor to some of the most influential U.S. Rare Coin Guidebooks to date:
- “A Guidebook of United States Coins” (also known as the “Redbook”) –Contributor since 1983
- Walter Breen’s “Encyclopedia of United States and Colonial Coins”
- Q. David Bowers’ “Encyclopedia of United States Silver Dollars”
- Andrew Pollock’s “United States Pattern and Related Issues"
- Professional Numismatists Guild: Member #399. Member since 1988.
- American Numismatic Association: Member #76321. Member since 1973. Appointed instructor at the ANA Summer Seminar in 1998 and again in 2000 and 2003 (teaching a class on United States gold coins).
- Awarded a Presidential Certificate of Appreciation by the ANA in 1996.
- American Numismatic Society: Member since 1981.
- Numismatic Literary Guild: Member since 1983. Won NLG’s “Best United States Coin Book” award in 1997 for Gold Coins of the Dahlonega Mint, 1838-1861 and was presented with the NLG’s “Award for Extraordinary Merit” in 1999.
- Numismatic Guaranty Corporation: Charter member and Dealer registration #502.
- Professional Coin Grading Service: Member since 1991 and Dealer registration #350.
- CAC (Certified Acceptance Corporation): Charter member and Dealer #1017.
- Regional Numismatic Clubs and Societies: Member of many organizations including the Florida United Numismatists (FUN), Central States Numismatic Society (CSNS), Texas Numismatic Association (TNA), and Liberty Seated Collectors Club.